Instead of making New Year’s resolutions this year, think about using the momentum of the new year to make changes in your life that are aligned with your values.
Often New Year’s resolutions come from a place of shame or deficiency, a place of trying to fix what’s “wrong” with you. What if you made changes in your life based on what’s most important to you rather than “fixing” what’s wrong? This is where values come in.
The DBT skill called Accumulating Positive Emotions in the Long Term can help you experience more positive emotions more often by aligning your life with your values. In today’s episode, Marielle and Ed take a deep dive into the skill.
- Access your Wise Mind when assessing your values
- What’s actually important to you vs. what you think SHOULD be important
- Your values and priorities can shift as you go through different seasons in your life
- This skill outlines a step by step process to make your values a reality in your life
- Avoid avoiding
- Pick one value to focus on at a time
- Identify a few goals related to this value
- Bite-size action steps
- Take action!
Links & Resources
Ask Us a Question!
Ask us a question and we may answer it on the podcast. Please note that questions, and this podcast, is not a substitute for individual mental health treatment. Submit your question here.
To learn more about DBT and therapy in general, read our blog.